2020-2021 Course Catalog

Veterans’ Affairs

Veterans may be eligible for federal and/or state benefits to assist them in completing a certificate, associate’s degree, or transportation courses. Information is available in the Financial Aid and Veterans’ Affairs Office, Room N117, at www.richland.edu/veterans or on the web at www.va.gov and www.isac.org. Richland offers the following veterans’ programs:

  • Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty Educational Assistance Program
  • Chapter 31 – Disabled Veterans – Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 32 – Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
  • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill® or Forever GI Bill®
  • Chapter 35 – Survivors and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program
  • Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program
  • Chapter 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
  • Illinois Veteran Grant – www.isac.org
  • Illinois National Guard Grant – www.isac.org
  • MIA/POW Scholarship – www.isac.org
  • Tuition Assistance

Veterans must first apply for VA benefits online at www.va.gov.

Veterans requesting benefits from the US Department of Veterans’ Affairs are expected to inform the Coordinator of Veterans’ Affairs of their enrollment each semester. When applying for benefits, a veteran should submit a certified Member 4 copy of the DD214 or a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). An official academic transcript from all colleges or universities previously attended must be submitted to the Student Success Center for evaluation of transfer credits. If all transcripts are not evaluated, benefits may be suspended.

Veterans receiving benefits from the VA must inform the Coordinator of Veterans’ Affairs each semester that they want to be certified for benefits. Only courses needed for the educational program will be certified. Veterans receiving benefits from the VA are encouraged to complete all credit hours certified each semester. If a veteran stops attending any course, even without formally withdrawing, the veteran is responsible to report the last date of attendance to the Coordinator of Veterans’ Affairs.

“Accelerated” courses or independent study courses may affect monthly benefits, so veterans are advised to see the Coordinator of Veterans’ Affairs before enrolling in these courses.

Veterans who receive benefits from the Federal Department of Veteran Affairs must meet the same Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines for financial aid recipients. Each type of military benefit has its own limit. Student receiving military benefits will be placed on warning and suspension in the same manner as other financial aid students.

Students who receive the Illinois Veteran Grant, Illinois National Guard Grant, or the MIA/POW Scholarship must meet the College’s GPA standard of 2.0. Veterans receiving these benefits should inform the Coordinator of Veterans’ Affairs each semester.

Veteran Tutorial Assistance

The Academic Success Center, Room C148, offers tutoring for students who need extra help in courses.