2020-2021 Course Catalog

Types of Aid

Scholarships and Grants

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is awarded to help degree-seeking undergraduates pay for their college-related expenses. The Federal Pell Grant, based on financial need, is the largest federal student aid program. For many students, these grants provide a “foundation” of financial aid to which aid from other programs may be added. Unlike loans, grants do not have to be paid back in most cases. Richland adheres to the standards and requirements set by the U.S. Department of Education. Eligibility is determined through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Richland verifies students as required by the U.S. Department of Education. Any person required to register with the Selective Services who fails to register is ineligible for federal and state financial aid. Richland complies with all U.S. Department of Education regulations.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG is awarded to help pay for education after high school and is available only to undergraduates who receive Federal Pell grants. This federal grant is awarded to students who have exceptional financial need determined through the submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and does not need to be paid back.

Illinois Grant– Monetary Award Program (MAP)

The MAP grant covers a portion of tuition costs for students who qualify on the basis of financial need, U.S. citizenship, Illinois residency, and other requirements. Eligibility is determined through the FAFSA and the Illinois Student Assistance Commission. Students must be taking a minimum of 3 credit hours in a degree-seeking program and provide proof of Illinois residency. Application should be submitted early for consideration.

Illinois National Guard Grant (ING)

Funds are available to enlistees and officers to the rank of captain in either of these services for the equivalent of eight (8) semesters or twelve (12) quarters of undergraduate study. The award pays tuition and certain fees. Eligible students should apply at www.isac.org. ING recipients must maintain a 2.0 GPA. Applicants must apply each academic year within the Illinois Student Assistance Commission deadlines. Veterans must inform the Coordinator of Veterans’ Affairs, Room N118, that they want to use ING each semester.

Grant Program for Dependents of Police/Fire/Correctional Officers

These grants provide tuition and mandatory fees for the children or spouse of Illinois police, fire, or correctional officer who was killed in the line of duty or permanently disabled in the line of duty. Interested students should apply directly to the Illinois Student Assistance Commission at www.isac.org.

MIA/POW Scholarship

This scholarship pays the cost of tuition and certain fees for spouses and children of veterans who have been declared missing in action, were prisoners of war, died as a result of a service-connected disability, or have a permanent and total disability as a result of military service. The veteran must have been a resident of Illinois prior to entering military service. Eligible dependents are entitled to use the scholarship for up to 120 semester hours. Children must begin using the scholarship prior to their 26th birthday, and spouses must begin using the scholarship no later than ten (10) years from the effective date of the veterans’ eligibility. The scholarship may be used for twelve (12) years from the initial term of study. For additional information, please contact the Veterans’ Affair Coordinator in the Student Success Center, Room N117.

Illinois Veteran Grant (IVG)

The IVG pays the cost of tuition and certain fees for veterans who were residents of Illinois before military service and who returned to Illinois within six (6) months after discharge from service. Anyone who served honorably in the U.S. Armed Forces may be entitled, subject to the following requirements: any veteran who was separated after August 11, 1967, must have served at least one year or have been separated for a disability directly related to such service. The grant may be used for a maximum of 120 semester hours. IVG recipients must meet the Standards of Academic Progress for Financial Aid Recipients. Applications are available online at www.isac.org. Veterans must inform the Coordinator of Veterans’ Affairs that they want to use IVG each semester.

Richland Foundation Scholarships

Richland Community College Foundation offers hundreds of scholarships to students at Richland Community College. Scholarships are available for both full-time and part-time students. Some are need-based, while others are based on GPA, merit, declared major, and other criteria.

Students who wish to be considered for a Richland scholarship must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA). The online scholarship application is available on myRichland > My Student Info > Scholarships (RCC Foundation).

Contact the Director of Scholarships and Alumni Relations in the Foundation Office, Room N179, call 217.875.7211, Ext. 6203, for assistance.

Financial Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process, and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services. Please contact your command’s Education Office for details.

Department of Human Services Program

The Department of Human Services provides financial assistance for post-secondary education for physically or mentally handicapped Illinois residents who have financial need. Interested individuals should apply to the local Office of Rehabilitation Services.

Student Loans

Richland participates in the Direct Loan Program, which includes the Direct Subsidized Loan, the Direct Unsubsidized Loan, and Direct PLUS Loans. These are low-interest loans to students made by the Department of Education. In order to receive a loan, students must apply for financial aid by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and completing their financial aid paperwork prior to submitting a loan request. Students must be enrolled in 6 or more credit hours and not be on financial aid suspension to receive a loan. Loan counseling and Master Promissory Note are required for all applicants. Eligibility for a Direct Subsidized loan is calculated prior to calculating the Direct Unsubsidized and/or Direct PLUS eligibility. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office, Room N117.